I like. I am. I want to be.

So, if you have looked at my facebook page over the past two weeks, you’ve noticed I’ve been on the go with multiple check ins, status updates, and picture uploads. Last week began with a hard dive into South by Southwest. Tuesday, I picked up my music badge, that’s right, badge, and went downtown after work. Tuesday, I went to Bat Bar and saw Ume and Yellow Ostrich. After 6 hours of sleep and a full day of work on Wednesday, I ended up back downtown. I started off the night wandering around aimlessly. Then, decided to head to Red 7 Patio for Tennis. Yep, they played 2 songs… and were done. So, after paying $20 for a pedi cab to get to Red River and 7th, we hiked all the way back over to Haven, on 5th and Colorado. Once we got there, we didn’t realize it, but we were waiting for Band of Skulls. And… they were awesome. We ended up staying and saw Kimbra who definitely exceeded our expectations. Went home, slept for 4 hours, went back to work. After work, I was back downtown. Do you get the trend? Thursday I decided to have a chill night, so I hit up the free shows at Auditorium Shores. I found a nice little spot on the grass under the trees. I saw Little Hurricane, M. Ward, and The Shins. Good night and I’m glad I called it an early one. Went home and slept for 4 hours, then woke up at 3:30 to make it down to the W Hotel. This year, our station, KGSR, broadcast live from the W, and I wasn’t going to miss it. I only caught one day out of the 4 days of broadcasts. Friday morning was an excellent line up. Starting off at 6:30 was ZZ Ward. Then, Graffiti6, fun., Walk the Moon, Nada Surf, and Charlie Mars. I left early so didn’t see the last band… had to get to work. After another full day of work (plus staying late, and one of the last few people at the office), I headed back downtown! I got to experience the biggest Doritos vending machine ever. Then hung out at Stubbs for another awesome line up. Ed Sheeran, Of Monsters and Men, Delta Spirit, and fun.! Since we got to Stubbs so early, we were about 10 rows from the front. It was awesome, and loud, and a perfect end to my SXSW experience.

I went home and slept for a few hours before waking up to do laundry and of course pack for Las Vegas! I got to the airport and ran into some guys with guitars. I asked if they played at SXSW. They did and said it was a dream. We talked a little about that and Austin while waiting in the security line. Then, they asked if I had time to have a drink before my flight. Jason and TJ were the nicest guys. We drank Guinness in honor of St. Patrick’s Day and they let me listen to one of their songs. They mailed me a CD and I really like their music. Check them out… The Grey Area from Washington D.C.

Living in the music capitol of the world has really broadened my taste in music. I have discovered a lot of really cool bands and made some really good friends. Though I have had no sleep in the last 2 weeks, it was totally worth it, even spending the weekend in Vegas immediately after SXSW. People call me crazy, but it was an adventure, and I’m all for adventure. 

  1. abbrowning posted this
blog comments powered by Disqus Comments